The National Botanic Gardens
The National Botanic Gardens at Glasnevin is Ireland's premier botanical and horticultural establishment. It is a rewarding and attractive garden for gardeners and non-gardeners alike. Occupying a beautiful forty-eight acre site on the banks of the Tolka river, it contains over 20,000 different plant species including many exceptional and rare specimens. There are some lovely trees, many outstanding displays of shrubs and perennials and, of course, the famous glasshouses, including Turner's magnificent curvilinear range. Over the past two centuries the gardens have played a central role in botanical and horticultural advancement in Ireland. The soil of the Glasnevin Botanic Gardens is heavy alkaline boulder clay, which confines the growing of calcifuge plants such as rhododendrons and ericas to specially prepared peat beds. On the east side of the garden lies the Victoria or Aquatic House which was built in 1854 to protect the gigantic Amazon water lily - at the time only recently introduced and one of the wonders of its age. One of the older plants is the Chusan palm, planted outside the curvilinear range in 1870.
Location. Glasnevin, Dublin 9.
Phone. +353 1 8377596
Fax. +353 1 8374388
Opening Hours. Mon-Sat 9am –6pm, Sun 11am-6pm (Summer) Mon-Sat 10am- 4.30pm, Sun 11am – 6pm (Winter).